AVS National Online Short Course Program Now Available!
- $350/$600 (AVS Platinum Member)
- $400/$700 (AVS Gold or Silver Member-Click Here to Upgrade to Platinum Now and Save All Year)
- $400/$700 (Non-Member)
- $200/$300 (Full-time Student/Requires Student I.D.)
Times listed are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Check your timezone!
Each course will include a link to a pdf file of the copyrighted course notes. During the online course you may ask questions. Instructors will review and answer them periodically throughout the course.
You must be present the day of the course, recorded versions are not available.
Save with AVS Membership
Save $50 per AVS Webinar with an AVS Platinum Membership. The savings from just two webinars is equivalent to the price of an AVS Platinum Membership, which provides discounts on conferences/short courses as well as access to the AVS publications and technical libraries, career services, and more. Don’t miss out on these savings. Contact Angela Klink, AVS Member Services Administrator, email@example.com for your discount code or to upgrade to Platinum.
Plasma Etching and RIE: Fundamentals & Applications
(1 or 2 day option: Day 1-Fundamentals; Day 2-Applications)
Thursday, September 16, 2021 (Day 2: Applications)
- Know the basic concepts of plasma etching.
- Understand the physics of RF glow discharges (both high and low density).
- Understand the surface science aspects of reactive ion etching (RIE).
- Learn about plasma-surface chemistry leading to etching.
- Recognize the factors that influence etching anisotropy.
Vacuum System Leak Detection and Basic Troubleshooting
- Real vs virtual leaks
- Leak rate specifications
- Different leak detection methods
- How a mass spectrometer leak detector works
- Care and feeding of a mass spectrometer leak detector
- Basic ways to use a mass spectrometer leak detector
- What to do when a leak is found
- Possible steps when a system passes leak test but has sub-par performance
- Sources of gas that can affect vacuum system performance
- Ways to mitigate gas sources
Atomic Layer Deposition
- Learn the fundamentals of ALD based on sequential self-limiting surface reactions.
- Understand the important advantages of ALD and comparison with CVD.
- Learn about ideal and non-ideal ALD and thermal and plasma-enhanced ALD.
- Understand how ALD surface chemistry and growth are studied using in situ probes.
- Learn how ALD can be utilized for thin film nanoengineering.
- Understand the many current and potential applications of ALD.
Vacuum Pumps: An Introduction to their Operation and Maintenance
- Learn about the types of commercially available vacuum pumps and their performance specifications.
- Learn how each pump works and what maintenance is required.
- Understand how to select a pump or pumps for a given application.
in Vacuum Systems
in Vacuum Systems
- Understand the three phases of vacuum chamber contamination: gases, films, and particulates.
- Learn the origins of vacuum chamber contaminants and methods for controlling or eliminating them.
- Understand the fundamentals of sputter deposition
- Review and discuss options for sputtering system design
- Learn how rf sputtering differs from dc sputtering and understand how rf sputtering works
- Understand reactive sputtering
- Understand thin film properties are modified by adjusting sputtering parameters
Analysis of Mass Spectrometer (RGA) Spectra
- Provide the basic knowledge required to interpret mass spectrometer (RGA) data, in vacuum applications ranging from UHV to atmospheric pressures.
- Presentation of elementary atomic electron structure
- Describe the filling of the electronic shells and sub shells
- Discuss molecule formation and the different types of molecular bonds
- Discuss operation of a mass spectrometer including its major components, i.e. ion source, mass separator, and detector and especially phenomena that occur in the ion source
- Discuss interpretation of the mass spectrometer spectra by presenting typical spectra for many common molecules and analysis of gas samples containing many different molecules
- Various types of analysis techniques are presented and many existing data bases are suggested
- Discuss chemical interactions between mass spectrometers and the sampled gases
Other AVS Events
AVS Southern California Chapter Short Course Program (IN PERSON)
September 27-29, 2021
Holiday Inn Buena Park
Buena Park, CA
- An Overview of Applied Vacuum Technology (9/27-28/21)
- Vacuum System Design (9/29/21)
AVS Courses by Request
If you are interested in seeing an AVS Short Course offered in 2021/2022 please complete the AVS Courses by Request form.
AVS Onsite/Online Training
Do your employees need training now? Are budgets tight? Let AVS bring our short courses and qualified instructors to your organization during these tough economic times via Zoom. Please complete the AVS Onsite/Online Training request form to receive a proposal.