AVS National Online Short Course Program Now Available!
- $350 (AVS Platinum Member)
- $400 (AVS Gold or Silver Member-Click Here to Upgrade to Platinum Now and Save All Year)
- $400 (Non-Member)
- $200 (Full-time Student/Requires Student I.D.)
Course Times: Each course will be a full day of training with morning and afternoon breaks, plus a 30-minute lunch break
- 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (ET)
Times listed are Eastern Time (ET). Check your timezone!
Each course will include a link to a pdf file of the copyrighted course notes. During the online course you may ask questions. Instructors will review and answer them periodically throughout the course.
You must be present the day of the course, recorded versions will not be available.
Save with AVS Membership
Save $50 per AVS Short Course with an AVS Platinum Membership. The savings from just two courses is equivalent to the price of an AVS Platinum Membership, which provides discounts on conferences, short courses and webinars as well as access to the AVS publications and technical libraries, career services, and more. Don’t miss out on these savings. Contact Angela Klink, AVS Member Services Administrator, email@example.com for your discount code or to upgrade to Platinum.
NEW! AVS Online Training Sponsorship Opportunities Available
Would your company like to sponsor an upcoming AVS Short Course Program (public programs only), Webinar, and/or e-Talk? AVS Online Training has new sponsorship opportunities available.
UHV Design and Practices
- Understand the pump factors that limit ultimate pressure.
- Know the degassing methods that minimize the total outgassing rate.
- Learn how to measure total and partial pressures in UHV.
- Learn the operating methods necessary to maintain UHV.
Atomic Layer Deposition
- Learn the fundamentals of ALD based on sequential self-limiting surface reactions.
- Understand the important advantages of ALD and comparison with CVD.
- Learn about ideal and non-ideal ALD and thermal and plasma-enhanced ALD.
- Understand how ALD surface chemistry and growth are studied using in situ probes.
- Learn how ALD can be utilized for thin film nanoengineering.
- Understand the many current and potential applications of ALD.
Controlling Contamination in Vacuum Systems
- Understand the three phases of vacuum chamber contamination: gases, films, and particulates.
- Learn the origins of vacuum chamber contaminants and methods for controlling or eliminating them.
Semiconductor Device Manufacturing Overview
- Gain a "big picture" understanding of the steps involved in making and packaging an integrated circuit.
- Learn the jargon associated with the microelectronics manufacturing industry.
- Learn the key concepts and process parameters of each process step.
- Understand the fundamentals of sputter deposition
- Review and discuss options for sputtering system design
- Learn how rf sputtering differs from dc sputtering and understand how rf sputtering works
- Understand reactive sputtering
- Understand thin film properties are modified by adjusting sputtering parameters
Partial Pressure Analysis with Residual Gas Analyzers
- Provide the basic knowledge required to operate residual gas analyzers (RGAs) in vacuum applications ranging from UHV to atmospheric pressures.
- Basic operation principles of mass spectrometers for residual gas analysis.
- How to specify the best RGA system configuration for your application.
- How to configure RGA software and process control I/O to perform gas analysis and track real-time changes in gas composition.
- Routine maintenance, tuning and calibration procedures.
- Quantitative compositional analysis and process control (actionable information) options.
- Spectral Interpretation: Quickly and effectively interpret typical RGA spectra. Monitor the quality of your vacuum process. Fingerprint your gas chamber. Chamber matching opportunities.
- How to differentiate between background and process gases
- Typical chemical interactions between RGAs and sampled gases.
Other AVS Events
Additional Training Opportunties Available
ICMCTF 2024 Short Course Program
Town & Country Resort Hotel and Convention Center
San Diego, CA
May 19-24, 2024
The International Conference on Metallurgical Coatings and Thin Films (ICMCTF) will host a series of Short Course Modules following four (4) tracks. The modules will be in two (2) hour increments.
Track 1 (T1) – Plasmas in PVD Deposition
Track 2 (T2) – Growth of Thin Films
Track 3 (T3) – Control of Film Properties
Track 4 (T4) – Characterization of Thin Films
AVS Courses by Request
If you are interested in seeing an AVS Short Course offered in 2024 please complete the AVS Courses by Request form. (Recommended for individual training)
AVS Onsite/Online Training
Do your employees need training now? Are budgets tight? Let AVS bring our short courses and qualified instructors to your organization during these tough economic times via Zoom. Please complete the AVS Onsite/Online Training request form to receive a proposal. (Recommended for group training)
AVS Professional Development Webinar: Nominating and Being Nominated for Awards - Hints, Tips and Ideas
Presenters: Sally McArthur and Julia Fulghum
Date: February 29, 2024
AVS Webinar: Automated Experiment in Scanning Probe and Electron Microscopy
Presenter: Sergei Kalinin
Date: March 28, 2024
Time: 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. ET
Have an Idea for a Webinar or e-Talk?
We welcome suggestions for future Webinars and/or e-Talk topics and speakers.
Please e-mail Webinar suggestions to David Adams, AVS Short Course Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please e-mail e-Talk suggestions to Matthew Jordan, AVS e-Talk Chair, email@example.com.