AVS National Online Short Course Program Now Available!
- $350/$650 (AVS Platinum Member)
- $400/$700 (AVS Gold or Silver Member-Click Here to Upgrade to Platinum Now and Save All Year)
- $400/$700 (Non-Member)
- $200/$300 (Full-time Student/Requires Student I.D.)
Times listed are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Check your timezone!
Each course will include a link to a pdf file of the copyrighted course notes. During the online course you may ask questions. Instructors will review and answer them periodically throughout the course.
You must be present the day of the course, recorded versions are not available.
Save with AVS Membership
Save $50 per AVS Webinar with an AVS Platinum Membership. The savings from just two webinars is equivalent to the price of an AVS Platinum Membership, which provides discounts on conferences/short courses as well as access to the AVS publications and technical libraries, career services, and more. Don’t miss out on these savings. Contact Angela Klink, AVS Member Services Administrator, email@example.com for your discount code or to upgrade to Platinum.
NEW! Online Training Sponsorship Opportunities Available
AVS Online Training has new sponsorship opportunities available. If you would like to sponsor an upcoming AVS short course program (public programs only), webinar, and/or e-Talk click here!
Atomic Layer Etching
- Learn the fundamentals of ALE based on sequential self-limiting reactions.
- Understand the differences between plasma ALE and thermal ALE.
- Learn about the surface chemistry and reactors for ALE.
- Understand why plasma ALE can obtain atomic layer precise anisotropic etching.
- Learn how thermal ALE can achieve atomic layer precise isotropic etching.
- Learn how ALE can be utilized for thin film nanoengineering and device fabrication.
- Understand the many current and potential applications of ALE.
Plasma Etching and RIE: Fundamentals & Applications
(1 or 2 day option: Day 1-Fundamentals; Day 2-Applications)
Friday, September 30, 2022 (Day 2: Applications)
- Know the basic concepts of plasma etching.
- Understand the physics of RF glow discharges (both high and low density).
- Understand the surface science aspects of reactive ion etching (RIE).
- Learn about plasma-surface chemistry leading to etching.
- Recognize the factors that influence etching anisotropy.
Sputter Deposition (1 day)
- Understand the fundamentals of sputter deposition
- Review and discuss options for sputtering system design
- Learn how rf sputtering differs from dc sputtering and understand how rf sputtering works
- Understand reactive sputtering
- Understand thin film properties are modified by adjusting sputtering parameters
Vacuum System Leak Detection and Basic Troubleshooting
- Real vs virtual leaks
- Leak rate specifications
- Different leak detection methods
- How a mass spectrometer leak detector works
- Care and feeding of a mass spectrometer leak detector
- Basic ways to use a mass spectrometer leak detector
- What to do when a leak is found
- Possible steps when a system passes leak test but has sub-par performance
- Sources of gas that can affect vacuum system performance
- Ways to mitigate gas sources
Controlling Contamination in Vacuum Systems
- Understand the three phases of vacuum chamber contamination: gases, films, and particulates.
- Learn the origins of vacuum chamber contaminants and methods for controlling or eliminating them.
Basics of Radio Frequency Technology (1-day)
- Understand the radio frequency (RF) plasma system as an electronic circuit.
- Learn a systematic approach to viewing a RF plasma system.
- Know techniques for maintaining and troubleshooting RF systems.
Partial Pressure Analysis with Residual Gas Analyzers
- Basic operation principles of mass spectrometers for residual gas analysis.
- How to specify the best RGA system configuration for your application.
- How to configure RGA software and process control I/O to perform gas analysis and track real-time changes in gas composition.
- Routine maintenance, tuning and calibration procedures.
- Quantitative compositional analysis and process control (actionable information) options.
- Spectral Interpretation: Quickly and effectively interpret typical RGA spectra. Monitor the quality of your vacuum process. Fingerprint your gas chamber. Chamber matching opportunities.
- How to differentiate between background and process gases
- Typical chemical interactions between RGAs and sampled gases.
Other AVS Events
AVS Mid-Atlantic Chapter Short Course Program (Virtual)
November 21, 2022
- Atomic Layer Deposition
AVS Courses by Request
If you are interested in seeing an AVS Short Course offered in 2022 please complete the AVS Courses by Request form.
AVS Onsite/Online Training
Do your employees need training now? Are budgets tight? Let AVS bring our short courses and qualified instructors to your organization during these tough economic times via Zoom. Please complete the AVS Onsite/Online Training request form to receive a proposal.
AVS e-Talk: Heterogeneous Integration for mmWave Wireless Communication Systems
September 28, 2022
1:00-2:00 p.m. EDT
Instructor: Madhavan Swaminathan
AVS e-Talk: Design, Realization, Applications of Gas and Ion Separations Materials
November 16, 2022
1:00-2:00 p.m. EST
Instructor: Tina Nenoff
REGISTRATION COMING SOON!